Monday, June 30, 2014

Mahal Kita Igpanolong

Today was our first day at the schools and even though it took an hour and 15 minutes to get there, it was so worth it. The views are perfect, the kids are perfect, and the teachers are perfect. As soon as we walked up, the kids came up and gave us cute little necklaces that they made and then they had a little welcome program for us.  I taught the first "Getting to Know You" lesson today and it was kind of awkward because all the kids just starred at me. Every time I asked a question I just got blank stares. But that's okay because they've never seen a white person before. I would go up to them and they would run and hide behind their desks and not come out until I left the room. Once they got comfortable and happy though, they got involved in talking to us and playing with us. I love how all the kids just swarm you and they tug at your arms and they want to be involved and it's just amazing. There was a little girl who would smile at me then run away then keep doing it over and over and every time I went to go say hi, she would run away. My goal is to find out her name and give her a hug. Also not just the kids, but the teachers and families and the food they made for us was so delicious. I felt so fat because they fed us three complete meals! I wouldn't even be mad if I gained 20 pounds because I gained it eating the best food in the world. But, after eating and teaching and everything, we started to help build a library for them. We moved bricks and made cement and even that was a lot of fun. I just love doing everything here so much.
I think one of my favorite parts of today though were the missionaries that came and helped out. What are the chances that David ran into his high school friend serving a mission here, literally in the heart of the Philippines at the same store, on the same day? Anyways they came to Igpanolong and watched us teach then helped start to build. It was so cool talking to them and getting their opinions about living in the Philippines and their experiences so far. They also talked to the kids in their native language so that was also cool. It was crazy though because one of the missionaries could carry four cement blocks with four fingers. He was Samoan.
I am a proud Filipina and so happy that I am apart of their loving culture. I definitely could pack myself up, move to the Philippines and live off the land, spending hours in the rice fields and gardens. I wouldn't even care that I lived in a small little hut.... or maybe I can find a way to end all poverty.. but either way, I'd be happy to live here. But gotta go, I'm being kicked off the computer so blog ya later!

-Tori








No comments:

Post a Comment