Saturday, July 5, 2014

Adventures in the Philippines

It's crazy how fast this week has gone by. I have loved every second and completely fallen in love with these kids. I have surprised myself  with all the food I have been so willing to eat and it has made my experience that much better! The food is amazing though and I think I might actually miss it, but not as much as the kids. Teaching was sort of a struggle, but all the notes I got from each student told me other wise. They loved all the lessons and hopefully got a little something out of each one. its absolutely shocking to me how something so little can make these kids glow. Like when we handed out their school supply kits, the smiles on their faces were priceless and they kept asking "For me?". It makes me appreciate all the things we are given back at home (like a working toilet) a thousand times more. We take so much for granted, I wish everyone could experience this to know the feeling and be more appreciative. Working on the buildings has been another experience that has changed my outlook on how we live. One of the days, all we had to do was move cement bricks from point A to point B and in a matter of seconds, every single kid was helping us, at least 20 of them carrying bricks to point B and running back to grab another. It seemed like a game to them or something and I kept asking if they wanted a break and they would just shake their heads and ask for another brick. The whole time I was just thinking how at home,  no kid would want to do that. They would probably just be playing games on their iPhones and iPads. So I loved seeing how willing they were to help. Another thing that I think is so crazy that just made my day was driving to and from the schools on top of the Jeepneys and seeing hundreds of faces light up when they saw us smile and wave at them. Everything here is so beautiful, especially the people. Saying goodbye is going to be hard but I just hope that this short week has made a difference to someone because I have been changed for sure. Mahal Kita!!

-Aly
McKenna and I helping at Igpanolong 

Kids helping move bricks

The kids at my school (Salvacion)

1 comment:

  1. Carl! I miss you like crazy!! I am so proud of you and all the things you are doing!! I can not wait to hear all about your crazy adventures when you get back!! Xoxox -kea

    ReplyDelete